If you think you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.  

For students and staff 

Rape Crisis Scotland can offer support to those who have experienced a recent or attempted rape or sexual assault. Contact them by calling Rape Crisis Scotland’s helpline on 08088 010302 (freephone, 6pm – midnight every day), phoning their support line on 0131 556 9437 and leaving a message or by emailing their support service at support@ercc.scot.

Turn to SARCS: The NHS Scotland sexual assault self-referral phone service can help to arrange care for you in the days following a rape or sexual assault. The service may be able to arrange for you to have a forensic medical examination (FME) at a SARCS without making a report to the police. You can phone the sexual assault self-referral phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0800 148 88 88. Calls are free from landlines and mobiles.

Archway Homepage | Archway Glasgow: If you are unsure about whether you want to report to the police but would like to have the option to report in the future you can use the Archway Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Glasgow for a forensic medical examination by a specialist female doctor/nurse. They’ll take forensic evidence and check for STIs. Archway is for anyone who has been raped or sexually assaulted in the last 7 days aged 13 and over. If you are over the age of 16, you do not need to report to the police unless you want to. They are based at 6 Sandyford Place, Glasgow G3 7NB, telephone: 0141 211 8175.

For students

Student Counselling and Mental Wellbeing - the team offer a range of support and advice for students who are experiencing stress, anxiety or other mental health issues.

Your School. Students can talk to their Personal Development Tutor

Edinburgh Napier Students’ Association (ENSA) ENSA employs a team of professional advisers to provide one-to-one advice to Edinburgh Napier University students. It’s a free and comprehensive welfare rights and education service. They can offer information, support and advice with signposting and referral to more specialist services.

Residence Life team.  If you are a student in our accommodation, all of the residences have a team of Student Accommodation Officers and Resident Assistants (RLA’s) living in-house. This team can be an important source of guidance and support for students.

For staff

Human Resources. If you are a member of staff your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.

Trade Unions. There are two trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison and the EIS.

MCL Medics. MCL Medics is the University's Employee Assistance Programme Provider and they provide a free, confidential and independent resource to help employees balance their work, family and personal lives.  This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year by phone, e-mail or online and provides information, resources and counselling.


Other sources of support

Galop is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and queer people affected by sexual violence.

The National Stalking Helpline can give you information and advice on support and options available to you.

Edinburgh Women’s Aid provides a range of services for women and their children experiencing domestic violence.

Respect is an advice line for male victims of domestic abuse.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened