What is Spiking and who is responsible?

Spiking a drink with substances such as alcohol or drugs or spiking by injection (regardless of any motivation, e.g. sexual violence/theft) are serious criminal offences

One of the most common motivations for spiking is to commit a sexual offence. Perpetrators who choose to spike another person are committing a sexual offence whether or not they commit any other form of sexual violence. There is no excuse for spiking and all guilt and responsibility lies with the perpetrator. The victim is never to blame.
Signs of Drink Spiking
Drugs used to spike drinks are very difficult to detect as they are tasteless, colourless and odourless. Additional alcohol is also hard to detect in alcoholic drinks. The effects of drink spiking vary depending on what substance was used and if it is mixed with other substances, e.g. alcohol, recreational or prescription drugs. Symptoms could include: 
  • Lowered inhibitions 
  • Loss of balance 
  • Feeling sleepy 
  • Visual problems 
  • Confusion 
  • Nausea 
  • Vomiting 
  • Unconsciousness 
What to do if you suspect you were spiked: 
·                Get help from a trusted friend or a member of staff at the venue.

·                Report to the Police. Call 999 if at risk or 101 if in a place of safety. Police can test blood, urine, drinks and vomit for drugs.  Drugs can leave the body in as little as 12 hours after consumption so it’s important to report and get tested quickly. 

·                Seek medical advice. If seriously unwell, someone you trust should take you to your nearest A&E department; otherwise call 111 or consult your GP. If you suspect spiking by injection seek testing for infections such as hepatitis and HIV. A&E do not offer toxicology tests and will only perform tests for drugs when it is necessary to determine medical treatment. 

If you suspect your friend has been spiked: 
  • Stay with them and keep talking to them. 
  • Don’t let them go home on their own or leave them with someone you don’t know or trust. 
  • Try to prevent them from drinking more alcohol as this can worsen their condition. 
  • Call an ambulance if their condition deteriorates. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened