If you think someone you know has experienced a hate crime there are lots of ways in which you can help them. 

Understanding the behaviours associated with hate crimes is a good place to start. Most people will usually describe what has or is happening to them and how it's making them feel. 

Hate incidents and hate crime are acts of violence or hostility against a person or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular characteristic. This could related to disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender identity or an alternative sub-culture. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime.

Hate incidents and crimes include bullying, harassment and sexual harassment, which are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University Dignity at Work and Study Policy and our Student Code of Conduct.

What to Consider

Are they in immediate danger?
If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).

Find a safe space. 
If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere they feel safe. If this isn't possible and they are scared or fearful you can suggest they call security on 0161 306 9966.


Just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help. These six active listening tips might help you to support them.

Published on Oct 4, 2015 Based on the Samaritans guidelines for active listening

Give options.
When they have finished talking, ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options.  


Edinburgh Napier Students’ Association (ENSA)
ENSA employs a team of professional advisers to provide one-to-one advice to Edinburgh Napier University students. It’s a free and comprehensive welfare rights and education service. They can offer information, support and advice with signposting and referral to more specialist services and may be able to help you report a hate crime anonymously to the Police.

To the Police.
If they want to report directly to the police they can call Police Scotland or contact them anonymously via their online form for reporting hate crime. In an emergency call 999 or 101 in a non-emergency. You can also report in person by calling in to your local Police station.

Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.

You can choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff and there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow. Bullying and harassment are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University Dignity at Work Policy and our Student Code of Conduct

Other sources of support

True Vision
offers guidance on reporting hate crime and hate incidents. If you do not wish to talk to anyone in person about the incident or wish to remain anonymous, there is an online form for reporting hate crime; you can report non-crime hate incidents to the police to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness.

Victim Support
provides victims with free and confidential emotional and practical assistance and information about the criminal justice system. Trained volunteers and staff deliver this assistance throughout Scotland. There is a Victim Support office in every local authority area.

supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents.

Community Security Trust (CS)
helps those who are victims of anti-Semitic hatred, harassment or bias.


Get Support 

Take care of yourself.
It’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve experienced or heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the University's Wellbeing Service offers confidential help for students and staff can use the MCL Medics service.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened