If you think someone you know has been discriminated against, there are lots of ways in which you can help them. 

Understanding the behaviours associated with discrimination is a good place to start. Most people will be able to describe what has or is happening to them and how it's making them feel. 

Unlawful discrimination takes place when an individual or a group of people are treated less favourably than others based on a protected characteristic such as age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership (in employment), pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief (including lack of belief), sex or gender, sexual orientation. 

Discrimination is contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University’s Dignity at Work Policy and our Student Code of Conduct


To a friend.
Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. Taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help. These six active listening tips might help you support them.

Published on Oct 4, 2015 Based on the Samaritans guidelines for active listening.

Give options.
  When they have finished talking ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options and next steps.  

For Students

Student Counselling and Mental Wellbeing
- the team offer a range of support and advice for students who are experiencing stress, anxiety or other mental health issues.

Student Disability Inclusion service
– the team can provide advice, guidance, and support to students about a range of practical adjustments to your work or studies and can direct you to sources of support.

Your School
. Students can talk to their Personal Development Tutor.

Edinburgh Napier Students’ Association (ENSA)
ENSA employs a team of professional advisers to provide one-to-one advice to Edinburgh Napier University students. It’s a free and comprehensive welfare rights and education service. They can offer information, support and advice with signposting and referral to more specialist services.

Residence Life team.
All of the residences have a team of Student Accommodation Officers and Resident Assistants (RLA’s) living in-house. This team can be an important source of guidance and support for students.

For staff

Human Resource Contacts.
If you are a member of staff your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you.

Trade Unions.
There are two trade unions that represent staff at the University: Unison and the EIS.

Workplace OptionsWorkplace Options is the University's Employee Assistance Programme Provider and they provide a free, confidential and independent resource to help employees balance their work, family and personal lives.  This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year by phone, e-mail or online and provides information, resources and counselling.


Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. They can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence.

They can choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff and there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow. Bullying and harassment are contrary to the Equality Act 2010 and the University’s Dignity at Work Policy and our Student Code of Conduct

Get Support 

Take care of yourself.
It’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve experienced or heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, the University's Wellbeing Service offers confidential help for students and staff can use the University’s Workplace Options service


There are two ways you can tell us what happened