I have experienced relationship abuse

WHAT IS RELATIONSHIP ABUSE? You can read more about what relationship abuse is.

The most important thing to remember is that relationship abuse is not your fault. If you're experiencing relationship abuse, you have choices.


Make yourself safe

If you are at home or in the home of someone else – has the attacker gone? If not, can you make yourself safe, contact a friend or family member or call the police? If you are in any danger or seriously injured call 999 immediately (or 112 from a mobile).

If its not safe for you to speak be aware that you can:
  • Call 999
  • Listen to the operator
  • Cough or tap the handset
  • If prompted press 55 – this lets the operator know it is a genuine call and you are put through to the police. 
If you need support from the University, on or off campus, call the University Security team on 0131 455 6119.

This number is available 24 hours a day for University staff, students or other informants who need to report a serious incident that requires immediate and urgent response by the University.

Do you have any injuries?

If you have any physical symptoms after an assault you should seek medical help.

If this is more than a very minor injury, or if you were unconscious for even a short time, you should go to Accident and Emergency. If you can, it may be helpful to bring a friend or family member with you.

It is up to you how much information you provide, but the hospital staff will be able to offer you better advice if they are aware of the circumstances.


There are a large number of support services you can call or visit who you can talk with about what has happened to you.

  • Scotland's Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline  Phone: 0800 027 1234 (24 hour service) Provides confidential information and support to anyone affected by forced marriage or domestic abuse.
  • Edinburgh Women's Aid Phone: 0131 315 8110 Edinburgh Women’s Aid offers a free, confidential and non-judgemental service to women, children and young people in Edinburgh and surrounding areas who have experienced domestic abuse.
  • Scottish Women's Aid Phone: 0131 226 6606 Provides advice, support and safe accommodation for women (and their children) who have been abused by their partner or ex-partner. They can recommend local groups.
  • Victim Support Scotland Phone: 0345 603 9213 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm) Provides information and support for victims and witnesses of crime.
  • AMIS (Abused Men in Scotland) Phone: 0808 800 0024 Supports men who are experiencing or have experienced domestic abuse. Call the confidential helpline (it's free to call from landlines and most UK mobiles, and doesn't appear on itemised phone bills)
  • Respect Men's Advice Line Phone: 0808 801 0327 For men experiencing domestic abuse from their current or ex-partner
  • National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Helpline Phone: 0800 999 5428  Email: help@galop.org.uk
  • SACRO Fearless Project Fearless is a support service for any man, or LGBTI+ person experiencing domestic abuse.
  • AMINA Phone: 0808 801 0301 (Helpline Open Mon - Fri, 10am - 4pm) Helpline for Scotland providing support to women from minority backgrounds who have been affected by violence against women. Support is available in English, Urdu, Arabic, Bangla and Swahili. Service also runs a VAW awareness programme.
  • mygov.scot Practical advice and Relationship Abuse Support

Abusive behaviour experienced by a partner or ex-partner is a criminal offence.

This includes psychological abuse such as coercive and controlling behaviour as well as violence.

The police recognise revenge porn as a serious form of abuse. If someone is sharing or threatening to share an intimate image without consent you can report it.

Please report your concerns to Police Scotland at your local police station. You can also call the police non-urgently to report something of concern or even discuss a situation on 101, online or via 999 if it is an emergency. Police Scotland has also launched the new Disclosure Scheme for Domestic Abuse Scotland.  If you have concerns about your own partner’s past, or concerns about another person’s partner, you can apply to the Scheme to ask if that person has a history of domestic abuse or other relevant behaviour.

Reporting incidents assists Police Scotland in tackling domestic abuse.  The information you provide is valuable.  It enables the police to identify areas of concern and patterns of behaviour that could lead to the prosecution of offenders and to ensuring the safety of the victim.

You can also report an incident anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111



  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. The purpose of this system is to provide support in the event of sexual violence or harassment. You can also choose to make an anonymous report.
  • Student Counselling and Mental Wellbeing. The team is here to help and support students throughout their time at University.
  • Edinburgh Napier Students’ Association (ENSA) ENSA employs a team of professional advisers to provide one-to-one advice to Edinburgh Napier University students. It’s a free and comprehensive welfare rights and education service. They can offer information, support and advice and signposting and referral to more specialist services.
  • MCL Medics. This service for staff offers a free, confidential and independent resource to help employees balance their work, family and personal lives.  This  service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year by phone, e-mail or online and provides information, resources and counselling

  • Samaritans are available to talk about anything that’s troubling you, no matter how large or small the issue. You don't have to be suicidal. Call: 116 123. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Breathing Space where experienced advisors will listen and offer information and advice. Call their Helpline number: 0800 83 85 87 Opening hours: Weekdays: Monday-Thursday 6pm to 2am. Weekend: Friday 6pm-Monday 6am


There are two ways you can tell us what happened